Another week has flown by, and it’s hard to believe that we are now in the middle part of the term. This past week the children have been enjoying playing a wide variety of different games and activities, including coloured corners, draughts, making balloon animals, dominos, talking about debating, participating and helping organise a picnic, balloon games, cooking, building jenga towers, dancing, skipping, imaginative play, beanie boo games, gymnastics, basketball, connect 4 Soccer, constructing obstacle courses using cones, playing twister, talking about their upcoming holidays, and playing line tigi.
School-age children should do at least one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity each day. But, Did You Know?
• 80% of school-aged kids aren’t active enough according to Australian physical activity guidelines.
• 70% spend more than 2 hours a day in front of a screen for recreation Most primary school-age children still need plenty of unstructured activity like running and chasing, and playground games.
With this in mind, the team at Camp Australia OSHC team incorporate the Heart Health physical activity guidelines in each session of Before and After School Care, to help the kids at your school to find fun activities that will get them moving. Some of the ways that we do this include:
• Providing a safe environment with active toys like balls, skipping ropes and supervised access to the outside playground when weather allows.
• Modified games of footy, netball, basketball and soccer are incorporated to develop skills without getting hurt or losing confidence.
• We lead by example and join in, so the kids are motivated to try something different.
• We limit screen time at OSHC, which allows more time to enjoy physical activities.
• For kids who just don’t like sports, we encourage other hobbies like dancing, collecting leaves or feathers for craft and exploring outdoor areas.
Drop in after school if you’d like to see some of the active games we play at OSHC! The Program Coordinator will be available to answer any questions you might have.
Parents, please be advised that the way we do the rolls is changing at Before and After School Care. The 21st century has caught up with us and we are now using a tablet to mark the rolls. Please be aware that you need to make sure all of your authorized pick up people are not just on the documentation at the service, but also have been entered through head office. Please ensure that all of your additional contact people are on your records. This can be checked by contacting Camp Australia Head Office on 1300 105 343.